Appleton Blog Logo by Jeff Lindsay
The Appleton Blog features one of America's
best communities: Appleton, Wisconsin.

Jeff Lindsay is an author of Conquering Innovation Fatigue. See InnovationFatigue.com for more info.
Also follow me on Twitter.

Archives

Appleton Resources

Other Suggested Links

Other Blogs from Fox Cities Folks

Wednesday, May 16, 2007

 

Funnel Cloud! Anyone Else See It Tuesday Night?

On Tuesday night, May 15, at about 5:30 pm, I saw my first major funnel cloud. I was driving northbound along Highway CB between Highway II and Highway 441 in the Town of Menasha, when I looked over my right shoulder and saw a beautiful, distinct funnel cloud forming out over Neenah, probably close to Lake Winnebago, I think about 1.5 miles away. It was dropping from low-hanging clouds and had a kink in it. It wasn't quite touching the ground - the lowest part was perhaps 250 feet or so above ground. But it was there and beautiful, though frightening. I couldn't stop my car where I was to take a photo, but went to the Jacobsen Street intersection and turned around, but by then there was very little left of the funnel cloud - just a dull finger of cloud poking down sideways from the main layer. I thought this would be on the news but no one I've talked to heard about it.

Anyone else see it?

I've never seen one before, so this was an interesting moment. Thank goodness it didn't do any damage below. The Fox Valley has been very fortunate in that regard over the years.