Appleton Blog Logo by Jeff Lindsay
The Appleton Blog features one of America's
best communities: Appleton, Wisconsin.

Jeff Lindsay is an author of Conquering Innovation Fatigue. See InnovationFatigue.com for more info.
Also follow me on Twitter.

Archives

Appleton Resources

Other Suggested Links

Other Blogs from Fox Cities Folks

Saturday, July 05, 2008

 

Student Violinist Creates Summer Camp Scholarship Fund for String Musicians: Your Help is Requested

A gifted Fox Valley violinist that I know, Becky Johnson, is turning to the community for help in starting a scholarship fund for string musicians to help more students go to summer violin camps. Here is her written request, shared with me by her father and quoted with permission:

Dear Friends and Family:

The reason for this letter is to ask for your help in starting a scholarship fund for string musicians from east-central Wisconsin to be able to go to summer camp if they wouldn’t otherwise be able for financial reasons.

As you may know, it has been a goal of mine in the past to excel in music in many ways. One of these ways is to go to music camp in the summer. Unfortunately, I have a lot of friends that are musicians like me that aren't able to go to camp at all due to financial need. I would like to offer them, and others, this opportunity as well as other musical learning experiences out of the Fox Valley area. In order to apply to receive a scholarship, the musician will have to submit an application form with information of annual family earnings and the reason that the learning experience is unaffordable. An advisory board and I will look it over and the take the second step which is to interview and audition the applicant. Some things that will determine if they get the scholarship are if they are at a professional playing level, if there is anything that they would be able to afford that would benefit as much, and their love and dedication to their music.

My passion to help inspired a school project that involves starting a fund called the Soulstrings High School Music Scholarship Fund. I will be working with a foundation called the Community Foundation of the Fox Valley Region. They will be in charge of keeping the money and investing it for me. My job, along with an advisory board, will be to make decisions about the fund like who will get the scholarship. The way that you can help is to give a tax exempt donation (the Community foundation is qualified as a 501(c)(3) charity so is fully tax deductible). In order to start the endowments fund I must raise $1000 so that it begins to earn interest to gift as scholarships. I also have a long term goal of being able to give out my first scholarship in 1.5 years which means I must raise $10,000. In the near future I will be designing a series of fundraisers to accomplish this goal. I will keep you informed of these events.

If you choose to donate now, checks can be made out to Community Foundation of the Fox Valley Region and can be sent to me directly at,

5255 Grandview Rd
Larsen WI, 54947

I will deliver the checks to the Community Foundation.

If you have any questions you may contact me at (920)836-3482 or (920)205-6751.

Sincerely,


Becky Johnson

P.S. In addition to your gifts being tax exempt, there are incentives for $200 or more if you live in Wisconsin. I will play with a quartet for 45 minutes if you donate $200- 499 and an hour if you donate $500- 999. If you give more than $1000 I will play a private solo recital for you and a couple guests.
I hope this scholarship fund takes off and helps many people.
Comments:
Great idea! Will this be kept alive indefinitely?
 
Post a Comment



<< Home