Appleton Blog Logo by Jeff Lindsay
The Appleton Blog features one of America's
best communities: Appleton, Wisconsin.

Jeff Lindsay is an author of Conquering Innovation Fatigue. See InnovationFatigue.com for more info.
Also follow me on Twitter.

Archives

Appleton Resources

Other Suggested Links

Other Blogs from Fox Cities Folks

Monday, September 25, 2006

 

The 2006 Hmong Hunter Story: Local Media Stirs Racial Tensions in Wisconsin

Racial tensions are flaring in Wisconsin again in the wake of media reporting of an allegation from a landowner who claims that a Hmong hunter pointed a gun at him. The police accepted the story and used dozens of officers to seize a Hmong man, Toua Lor, from his home Saturday night. A media circus is brewing as cameras and journalists surround the Hmong home in Appleton, trying to question family members. I just spoke with the wife of Toua Lor and learned that she is terrified for the safety of her family and that her children have been followed and harassed by the media.

According to the family, especially troubling were the actions of Fox 11 News and NBC TV who trespassed onto the property of Toua's family and refused to leave them alone after Toua's wife demanded that they leave. They rang the doorbell repeatedly, trying to get them to come out and say more. This was happening after sunset, around 8 pm, as I understand, causing one of the children to be seriously frightened by the threat of these disrespectful journalists. Shame on the media!

Those of us who know Toua Lor know that he has remarkable control over his temper, that he is a sweet and gentle man with great respect for other people who works and cooperates well with whites. The idea that he would endanger another human being for anything other than self-defense is beyond belief. The media continues to remind people about the tragedy of Chai Vang who killed some people last year, as if that has anything to do with this case. It does not.

The Post-Crescent's unfair spin on the story suggested that the allegations are factual, with no effort to convey Toua's side of the story or the possibility that a false accusation has been made.

I'm upset that this could happen here in Wisconsin, or anywhere.

Update: One the other hand, turning to the broader issue of hunting and property rights, there may be some legitimate concerns that landowners have about hunting near their property, or about trespassing property to get to hunting land. I think part of any healing process after this event must include some discussion of what should and should not be done when it comes to hunting and enforcing property rights. I've heard from several sources that there have been tensions between hunters and landowners in several areas across the state. If you have any good suggestions or resources on this topic, please let me know. I am not a hunter.
Comments:
im sorry, but this is the first time today, the 16th of oct. that i heard about the story. I'm starting to side with the likes of Jimmy Carter that too much of America, meaning the people of America are way too selfish and self-absorbed. Im finding this to be true in all the petty unjustified outrage of emotions of everyday life and the fact that way too many of us don't do enough for anyone else. I was like this for too long. But thank God im changing my ways. I think Jimmy Carter said it best: We are a selfish country considering all the luxuries we have. Spirituality begins with me.

I like your website.. Frank
 
This is also the first time i've heard this story too, but it seems as though now-a-days the mass media is taking any means they can to obtain a good story, at the expense of innocent citizens. Even though they put these citizens through so much trouble, the story that comes out to the public is revised to the point of a pratical lie. In this case it has seem as though they have had to compare it to the only thing they can to create big headlines. And by doing so they have ruined the name, and life, of Mr. Toua Lor.
 
I think we should be seriously reminded about the story of Chai Vang. We may think that we have the right to this land, and no one dared ventured into our land. And if we pushed to hard, said too much, just to quech our thirst of having to put up with these minorities who may have the same rights to live and (may be) to hunt in our land, something's gonna give. Just because I am white, perhaps I can push these people around. And when my red blood rushed my head, making it look like I am going to seriously hurt this little guy who has a gun and thinks that it is okay to do so just because I am white... What if this little man thought I was going to kill him? What if he decides to say something back? And what if I got so mad because this little man dared say something to me, the OWNER OF THE LAND OF AMERICA? Maybe I caused him to think that he is going to be killed if he is not defending himself? What if I could have thought that he is a hunter, instead of Hmong person violating my land, and just let hunters be hunters, but I did not. My action may have caused this small Hmong man(or Hispanic, African-American, Native-American)to defend himself. Yes, he may pay for what he will have done to defend himself, but I might loose my life defending my way of life that I thought this little man is taking from me and my kind... My children will grow old without me just because I thought I am white, and I can drive anyone who is not white and who is hunting on the white man's land which he took from the red man... What if I could have just said one thing less offensive than I did... Oh well... Maybe these little Hmong men deserve to be harrassed and they may deserve to defend themselves... Maybe...
 
It is sad that people have to be so close minded. I am tire of hearing this racial name calling. So I am going to pray for all of those who think that the are better than any other race. My heart goes to all of you who work hard to understand other race outside your own and hope God forgive those still have yet to do so.
 
I think the third commenter meant to make a point of how ignorant certain white people can be. At least I hope thats what he was trying to do... O_O
 
I think it's all about respect. Speak to me, in the way you want me to speak to you. Treat my land as if it was yours. Speak to me in peace and I will leave you in peace. Ask me what you don't know, instead of telling me what you think you know. I think the best way to clear up all these misunderstanding is to educate each other. Hunters need to know the laws and respect private lands. Hunters should get permission to hunt private lands and know where the property ends. Land owner should post signs and know how to approach a trespasser or call the police instead of taking action. I believe we all can learn alot from each other, if we would just stop to listen and try to understand each others point of view. Every race has a few bad apples. We shouldn't be judged by someone else's mistake, or bad decision. I am a hunter, and I leave the forest the way it was before I got there, unless it was my game. I hunt plubic land and have 4 dfferent places to hunt. If I go to one of these places and someone is in my tree or area. I'll just go to another spot. It doesn't matter what game you are seeking, it's just not worth fighting or risking your life for. I hope and pray that the Lor family will be able to wake up from this nightmare. It all sounds like a big misunderstanding from the begining.

From the Yang Family.
 
Where's Mr. Chai Vang when you need him...(*_*)...haha...
 
Post a Comment



<< Home